Babylonia applies the following principles in our fair trade relationship:
- Workers are paid a fair wage taking into account the cost of living in the country in which they live.
- The production takes place in a socially acceptable context: not only are wages important, but also the environment, working conditions, working hours, etc.
- The trade relationship is based on cooperation, not competition: designing, selecting materials, planning and production are all transparent so that the producers know what is expected and understand the market.
- Knowledge transfer: Babylonia has brought skills and training to the workers in India who produce Babylonia products.
- Respect for the environment: Babylonia works with natural materials, often from organic farming or livestock and produced in an ecologically sound way (eg. color dyes used, etc.)
- Financing: very often producers in the developing world cannot self-fund the high-quality raw materials needed for production. Babylonia helps with funding for the raw materials
- Babylonia has helped with the transfer of production: sewing machines, attachments etc...
- Babylonia has agreed to continuity in the trade relationship: which means that after one or several orders, Babylonia guarantees they will not switch to another producer, for example because of the price. This ensures the manufacturer a continuous flow of work and thus the guarantee that his investments (eg: in production or in training) will not be lost.
- Consistent prices: Babylonia ensures that the prices paid are not subject to market fluctuations or fluctuations in commodity prices to ensure a guaranteed fair price for our producers.
- Babylonia ensures that materials are locally produced or available locally, so that the entire local economy can benefit.
The BB-SLING, BB-SLEN, BB-TAI and Peppa Dolls are made through two different Fair Trade organizations in India.
Both organizations are members of the International Federation for Fair Trade (IFAT). IFAT checks whether the rules relating to the recognition of a marketing relationship as a 'fair trade' relationship are being observed. Babylonia is proud to be working with participating members of IFAT and we look forward to a long future together.